Important ideas from the outgoing president's speech
1.A modern nation is built on some essential fundamentals -democracy or equal rights for all,secularism or equal freedom to faith to all,equality of every religion and economic equity.
2.For development to be real,the poorest shall feel that they are a part of the narrative .(This echoes Mahatma Gandhi who wrote as.. I SHALL WORK FOR AN INDIA IN WHICH EVEN THE POOREST SHALL FEEL THAT IT IS THER COUNTRY-CKR)
3. The soul of India resides in pluralism and tolerance.
4. The capacity for compassion and empathy is the true foundations of our civilisation.
5.Gandhiji saw India as an inclusive nation where every section of our population lived in equality and enjoyed equal opportunity.
6. He wanted our people to move forward unitedly in ever-widening thought and action.(influence of Tagore-CKR )
7. Financial inclusion is at the core of an equitable society. We must empower the poorest of the poor and ensure that the fruits of our policies reach the last person in the line.
8.To lead healthy, happy and productive lives is the basic right of our citizens.
9.The quest for happiness is closely tied to the quest for sustainable development, which is the combination of human well-being, social inclusion and environmental stability
10.A sustainable environment would prevent damage to the planetary resources. Social inclusion would ensure access to the fruits of progress to all.
12.A reordering of society is possible through the transformative power of education. For that, we have to upgrade our higher institutions of learning to world-class levels.
13. Our universities should not be a place for rote-memorising but an assembly of inquisitive minds. Creative thinking, innovation and scientific temper have to be promoted in our institutions of higher learning. It calls for application of logic through discussion, argument and analysis. These qualities have to be cultivated and autonomy of mind has to be encouraged
11.Good governance would provide the ability to people to shape their own lives through transparent, accountable and participatory political institutions,
closing of the speech
Fellow citizens, during my five years in Rashtrapati Bhavan, we tried to build a humane and happy township. We found happiness that is associated with joy and pride, smiling and laughter, good health, feeling of safety and positive actions. We learnt to wear a smile always; to laugh at life; to connect with nature and get involved with the community. And then, we extended our experience to a few villages in the neighbourhood. The journey continues
When the students are asked to write a speech on your dream of a new India based on Gandhian values,most of the above ideas can be used in their own words.
You may end the speech like this(based on the closing of the speech )
I will try to build a humane and happy Nation.I find that happiness........I will ensure that there is laughter,good health,feeling of safety everywhere......
Further reading on the topic :
1. And then Gandhi came by JAWAHARLAL NEHRU( 11 reader,unit 2,DHSE Kerala)
2. NEWS REPORT; THE HINDU;PAGE 10,25/7/2017 :CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE
4. NEWSPAPER CUTTING( CAN BE USED IN THE CLASSROOM FOR INTRODUCTION)
GUIDING QUESTIONS AFTER READING THE NEWS REPORT
1.WHOSE IDEAS ARE MOSTLY REFLECTED IN THE SPEECH ?
2. WHICH ARE THOSE IDEAS ?
3. WHAT IS YOUR VISION OF A NEW INDIA ?
Practise writing sentences like
I dream of a new India where there is no poverty .
MAKE SENTENCES USING .....
food for all,shelter for all, employment for all,sustainable development ,environment is protected,equality for men and women, communal harmony,tolerance,social inclusion,pluralism,no discrimination,no untouchability,freedom of speech,freedom of faith,
QUALITY EDUCATION FOR ALL