NEWS

If you are not able to read the content of this blog ,send your mail address to seakeyare@gmail.com .This is a blog with more than 1 million views.Heading for 2 million viewership !. .GUIDANCE TO NEW READERS...IF YOU ARE VIEWING THIS ON A MOBILE PHONE ,CLICK THE WEB VERSION AVAILABLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MENU FOR BETTER VIEWING,.....To read notes on a particular topic ,type the word(s) in the seach page window on the LHS OR GO TO THE INDEXED BLOG http://plustwoenglishkasargod.blogspot.in/..THE LINK IS AVAILABLE ON THE RHS.Happy blogging to all.PLS SEND YOUR ARTICLES TO seakeyare@gmail.com...... CKR

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

HOW TO GAIN FLUENCY IN ENGLISH

Dear all,

One that has really helped in gaining fluency ( I completed my MA English Litt. with no speaking skills) was the a routine.  I did it successfully with my IELTS students  as well in gaining fluency within a short time. I also used it with EAL students in UK where I am working as a teaching assistant.  This routine has helped all of them. In fact this routine helps in learning any new language.
The routine is this-

1. Loud reading for 10 minutes.
The way we move our tounge while speaking in Malayalam,  is different to the way we use tounge when we use English. So Loud reading helps our tounge tinge in getting used to the movement of English. Loud reading also uses three senses ( seeing, speaking and listening) and therefore the learning goes deeper.
It also improves our grammar as we are repeatedly reading  correct grammar aloud.

I  found loud reading the single most important technique that helped me in gaining fluency.
My method was - I read each sentence four times before I move to the next line. Sometimes it will be three  times for each sentence in a paragraph and finally reading aloud the entire paragraph in one go.

2. Listening to English  for 10 minutes.

I would listen to anything that is native English . It could be English news  (easy to start with)  to movies ( more difficult with different people and different accent).

When I was teaching I used to make students listen in short bursts ( 2-5 seconds at a time) and they have to write down what they have heard. After  that they I will give them exact words. Then they would listen to those again twice -first looking at the words,second without looking at them). This improves their listening skills rapidly.

3. Writing.

Copy 4 sentences from  a book ( never our own as if there is a mistake that learning goes deeper as well-Each sentence is to be copied four times each.All together 16 sentences a day. Each sentence is 5-7 words minimum.
-GEORGE KUTTY ,TEACHING ASSISTANT ,USA

No comments: